After five candidate interviews and a failed motion to table a decision, the Nazareth Area School Board has filled a seat left vacant by Chris Audenried, who resigned from his post after he was appointed to Nazareth Borough Council.
A 7-1 vote locked the seat for retired educator Dominic A. Villani of Upper Nazareth Township. He will finish Audenried’s unexpired term, which ends next November. Board member Jerry Treon voted in favor of Zackary Audenried, the son of Chris Audenried.
Villani told the board that he spent six years inside the Nazareth Area School District when he was hired as a facilities consultant. He worked for D’Huy Engineering Inc. for 10 years.
“I found Nazareth to be a very warm community,” he said. “I found the district to be somewhat different than what I was used to. I liked the community input. I liked the administrative style. I’d go home and tell my wife, ‘Hey, Nazareth is where it’s at.’”
Villani is new to Upper Nazareth, having moved from Bethlehem a little more than a year ago. But he’s been a constant at Nazareth School Board meetings.
“I haven’t missed a school board meeting in 13 months,” he noted, adding that he also rarely misses committee meetings. “You might call it a love affair, but I don’t want to get that mushy.”
Villani said he’s served at almost every level in the educational spectrum, has more than 20 years of central office experience, and was a member of a Superintendent's Cabinet.
“I have a passion for education,” Villani said. “I don’t come with an agenda. Some have an ax to grind. Some have a hidden agenda. … Others come because they want to be philanthropic, and that’s why I’m here.”
More about Villani:
Villani is married, has four children and five grandchildren.
East Stroudsburg University
- Bachelor of Science
- Master of Science
- Facilities Consultant/Field Representative, D’Huy Engineering Inc., 10 years
- Nazareth Area School District -- Assessment/Reorganization of Maintenance / Custodial Department; Construction of New Middle School; Installation of Synthetic Turf at Stadium; Construction of New Field House; Renovation of High Fitness Center.
- Bethlehem Area School District, 34 years
- Liberty High School -- Teacher; Coach; Department Chairperson; Director of Intramurals; Director of Athletics.
- Central Office -- Curriculum Coordinator; Director of Support Services; Director of Athletics/Co-curricular Activities; Director of Facilities Operation & Management; Oversight - Capital Improvement Program, Construction / Renovation; Facilities Lease Program; Security Department; Liaison to Community Organizations.
- Saucon Valley School District
Teacher – Health/Physical Education; Social Studies; 1st Aid.
Coach – Football and Track
- Allentown Central Catholic
Teacher – Health & Physical Education, Civil Defense
Coach – Football and Wrestling
- North Pocono School District
Teacher – Health & Physical Education
Coach – Football, Volleyball and Track