Police: Lower Nazareth Man Removed Taser Probes - Twice - During Arrest Struggle

A Lower Nazareth man had to be Tasered three times -- he twice removed the probes as the current was delivered -- when police tried to arrest him for allegedly causing his mother to fall and suffer a head wound.

Police had to use a Taser several times to subdue a Lower Nazareth man accused of causing his mother to fall and suffer a head wound that required 13 staples and five stitches to close.

Mark Allen Beers, 45, of the 700 block of Nazareth Pike (Route 191), was arraigned Friday before on-duty District Judge Douglas Schlegel of Wind Gap. He was released Monday from Northampton County Prison after his mother, Louise Beers, posted 10 percent of his $3,000 bail, according to court records.

According to the records:

On Sept. 29, Colonial Regional Police were dispatched to a home on the 700 block of Nazareth Pike.

Police found Louise Beers in a vehicle outside the home, her clothing was covered in blood and she was bleeding from a head laceration.

Three officers entered the home. One heard “things being slammed” upstairs and saw splattered blood on the floor leading to the kitchen and into a nearby bedroom.

When an officer ordered Mark Beers to come downstairs, he replied that “we needed to get out of his house.” The officer “used a subtle tone” as he again asked Beers to come down.

When Beers finally came down, he was shirtless and wearing jeans. He had his fists clenched, took up a fighting stance and was agitated. An officer had a Taser pointed at him and asked him to get down on his knees. Beers maintained his position and ordered the officers out of the house.

The officer asked Beers several more times to cooperate but he continued to yell and made a move toward the officers. An officer fired the Taser and Beers removed the probes as the current was delivered. A second officer also fired a Taser and Beers again removed the probes.

Beers then ran upstairs and was Tasered again. This time he fell on the floor. He hit an officer several times on the wrist but eventually was subdued.

Police found two folding knives in Beers’ right pants pocket.

Louise Beers told police her son “chest-bumped” her, causing her to lose her balance and fall backward. She struck her head and immediately felt dizzy.

She had arrived home around 12:50 p.m. on Sept. 29 -- a Saturday -- and heard her son making noise upstairs. He told her twice to “go away” and chest-bumped her a first time. It was the second bumping that caused her to fall.

She eventually left the house, went to her vehicle, locked herself inside and called 911.

Mark Beers admitted to police he had stopped taking his “regular medications."

He was charged with one count of aggravated assault, four counts of harassment -- three of them connected to the police officers, two counts of simple assault and one count of resisting arrest.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »