, in addition to other departments and organizations, will participate in a National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 28.
On this day, in the Nazareth area, you can safely dispose of unwanted or unused prescription drugs by taking them to , and in , or to Bath Drug, 310 S. Walnut Street, Bath. Police officers will accept controlled, non-controlled and over-the-counter medications.
Before handing over unwanted prescriptions, remove any personal information from bottles or packages that contain medications. Liquid products and creams in containers will be accepted.
Sharpies and syringes will not be accepted because of the potential hazard posed by blood-borne pathogens. Illegal substances, such as marijuana and methamphetamine, are not part of the program and should not be placed in the collection boxes.
Keeping expired or unused medicine can be dangerous.
“People can mistake one medication for another, especially if the names of the medications are close,” said Vicky Kistler, director of the Allentown Health Bureau. Having excess medications stored in homes “also can provide the opportunity for curious youths to experiment with dangerous drugs with serious consequences,” she added.
In October 2011, Americans turned in more than 377,086 pounds -- or 188.5 tons -- of prescription drugs at the 5,327 take-back sites operated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), according to a press release.
When the results of the three prior Take-Back Days are combined, a total of 995,185 pounds -- or 498.5 tons -- of medication has been removed from circulation in the past 13 months by the DEA and its state, local and tribal law enforcement and community partners.
Here is a complete list of Drug Take-Back Day locations in Northampton County:
- - 3835 Dryland Way, Easton
- - 859 Nazareth Pike, Easton
- - 3791 Easton-Nazareth Highway, Easton
- Bath Drug, 310 S. Walnut Street, Bath
- , 801 S. 25th Street, Easton
- Walnutport Police Department - 417 Lincoln Avenue, Walnutport
- - 301 Town Center Boulevard, Easton
- Giant Food Stores - 3926 Nazareth Pike, Bethlehem
- Youngs' Pharmacy - 3708 Freemansburg Avenue, Bethlehem
- Wegmans - 5000 Wegman's Drive, Bethlehem
- Target - 912 Airport Center Road, Bethlehem
- - 2285 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem
- Fountain Hill Police Department - 941 Long St., Bethlehem
- - 3700 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bethlehem