Nazareth Patch Election Results 2012
Updates on the 2012 federal and state elections will be posted here throughout the day. Connect with us on Twitter too at #PatchElections.
In 2008, Obama was a winner in Nazareth, Upper Nazareth Township and Stockertown. Here's how the 2012 election numbers are shaking out:
LIVE 2012 ELECTION RESULTS (reporting Nazareth Borough - Wards 1, 2 and 3; Lower Nazareth Twp. 1 and 2; Upper Nazareth Twp. - Western; Palmer Twp./Upper, West - Nazareth; Bushkill Twp. - Cherry Hill, Bushkill Center and Clearfield Districts; Stockertown and Tatamy)
|Race||Democratic Candidates||Results||Republican Candidates||Results|
|Matt Cartwright||2,063||Laureen Cummings||1,862|
|PA Attorney General||Kathleen Kane||5,650||David Freed||6,063|
|PA Auditor General||Eugene DePasquale||4,623||John Maher||6,764|
|PA Treasurer||Robert McCord||5,026||Diana Vaughn||6,324|
138th State House
|Leslie Altieri||2,182||Marcia Hahn||4,646|
|137th State House||Joseph H. Capozzolo||2,027||Joe Emrick||3,053|
- Barack Obama Re-Elected President
- Marcia Hahn Retains 138th House Seat
- Dent Easily Wins Fifth Term in Congress
- Matt Cartwright Wins 17th District Seat
- How Hurricane Sandy Affected Local Election
- Voter Fraud, Voter ID Challenges, Irregularities Reported in Eastern PA
- Voters Put Off by Questions at Gracedale Poll
ORIGINAL STORY: Polls have shown the presidential race between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney tightening in the days before the Tuesday election.
The following is a look back at how Nazareth-area municipalities voted in the 2004 and 2008 presidential elections:
President George W. Bush was victorious in all seven Nazareth-area municipalities in, while then-Sen. Barack Obama won in only three of the seven in 2008.
In 2004, the closest contest was in the borough of Nazareth, where Bush beat Sen. John Kerry by just five votes, 1,316 to 1,311. Bush’s margins were larger elsewhere, especially in the townships of Bushkill and Lower Nazareth, where he won by about 700 votes and almost 500 votes, respectively.
The totals in Bushkill were Bush, 2,147, and Kerry, 1,446. The totals in Lower Nazareth were Bush, 1,719, and Kerry, 1,226.
The tallies were closer in the other municipalities – Upper Nazareth and Plainfield townships and the boroughs of Stockertown and Tatamy.
In Upper Nazareth, Bush won, 1,160 to 1,002. In Plainfield, Bush won, 1,699 to 1,285.
Still closer were the margins in Stockertown and Tatamy. In Stockertown, Bush squeaked by, 205-197. And in Tatamy, he won by about 80 votes, 280 to 199.
In 2008, meanwhile, Obama was a winner in Nazareth, Upper Nazareth and Stockertown. His opponent, Sen. John McCain, won in Lower Nazareth, Plainfield, Bushkill and Tatamy.
The totals were:
- Nazareth – Obama, 1,437; McCain, 1,183.
- Upper Nazareth – Obama, 1,301; McCain, 1,267.
- Stockertown – Obama, 220; McCain, 173.
- Lower Nazareth – McCain, 1,690; Obama, 1,513.
- Plainfield – McCain, 1,640; Obama, 1,459.
- Bushkill – McCain, 2,095; Obama, 1,707.
- Tatamy – McCain, 287; Obama, 266.