Deep frying a turkey may sound like the perfect way to serve a moist and delicious bird on Thanksgiving. But it's important to use that deep fryer safely to prevent a disaster!
Remember: You're working with 350-degree oil. The trick is to keep that oil inside the fryer.
- DO NOT deep fry a turkey inside your house or on a wooden deck.
- Make sure the deep fryer is standing on flat, stable ground.
- DO NOT try to thaw a frozen or partially-frozen turkey in the fryer.
- Use gloves and safety goggles when using the fryer to protect yourself from oil splatter.
- DO NOT leave your fryer unattended.
- Alcohol and cooking oil don't mix. Don't drink and deep fry.
- DO NOT use the garden hose to extinguish a deep-fryer mishap. Use a portable dry chemical fire extinguisher and call 911.
Click here to read more and for links to deep-fryer safety videos.