5 Things to Do to Prepare for Hurricane Sandy
It's time to make emergency preparations in case Hurricane Sandy causes power outages and other problems in the Lehigh Valley
Hurricane Sandy won't hit the Lehigh Valley until Monday or Tuesday so there's time to make some important preparations as advised by the Red Cross and emergency management experts:
- Have 3 days worth of food (including non-perishable food and a can opener) and other supplies in your home including important medications plus supplies for your pets.
- Know how to reach family members in case of an emergency.
- Have some extra cash on hand.
- Have a plan for what you'll do in case of a prolonged power outage.
- Assemble a storm kit that should include: Bottled water (one gallon per person per day); blankets/bedding and toiletries; baby formula, diapers, bottles and wet wipes, if needed; first-aid kit; flashlight with fresh batteries; battery-operated radio; hand sanitizer; paper plates and plastic utensils; manufacturer’s instructions for power-operated garage doors.
Visit www.health.state.pa.us and get a copy of Pennsylvania’s Emergency Preparedness Guide.